Credit report

Know your rights! How do I dispute credit report errors? – Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Restructuring

United Arab Emirates: Know your rights! How do I dispute credit report errors?

To print this article, all you need to do is be registered or log in to

It is important that you develop the habit of being aware of the adequacy of your credit report and that you also develop the habit of checking it regularly. The “credit report” in short, can determine your purchasing power and can influence decisions on obtaining a loan from a bank, renting or buying any property. They even say that they count on my potential employers to validate your reliability vis-à-vis financial obligations. A financial institution can often rely on your credit report to determine if you qualify for the loan and also to determine the amount of deposit you must pay in order to obtain a loan. For these various requirements, you should check your credit report and credit score regularly and aim to build a solid credit history.

In the United Arab Emirates, the federal organization “Al Etihad Credit Bureau” (AECB) is responsible for collecting all credit data and information and is responsible for providing accurate credit reports to individuals, financial institutions and also to companies in the United Arab Emirates. The AELC was established in 2014 as a PJSC entity wholly owned by the Federal Government of the United Arab Emirates, with its offices in the emirates of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

A “Credit Card Report” can be requested from the AELC by any person, company or financial institution in the UAE. These credit reports could include the following details such as complete credit history, payment history for the last twenty four months, overdue payment amounts, records of defaulted payments, a record of NSF checks .

A credit report obtained from the AECB will contain the following details


  • Recording of your current and previous credit facilities

  • Your late payment, if any

  • Your entire payment history for the last twenty-four months

  • Records of your payment defaults, including NSF checks, if applicable

How to dispute the credit report:

Consumers are allowed to dispute all data presented in the “credit report” issued by the AECB and also have the opportunity to prove that data given is incorrect by submitting supporting documents. To raise a dispute, a person must submit their original valid Emirates ID at the time of raising the dispute for verification and complete a “dispute form”. The customer is also required to submit with the application a copy of the latest credit report.

This basically means that you can only raise a dispute regarding your latest reports. The processing time for a dispute is generally twenty working days. In the resolution of disputes, the AECB works in collaboration with the lending institution itself which has provided the data necessary to ensure its validity. In addition, the AELC takes into account the supporting documents provided by the client to prove their claim. Once the dispute has been resolved, AECB representatives contact the client and provide feedback regarding the dispute.

Essentially, periodically review your credit reports for any inaccurate or incomplete information and, if so, file a “dispute form” with the AECB. It should be understood that your credit report affects your overall credit score, which is a parameter to determine your likelihood of missing a payment in the future. It is therefore a very critical analysis report for your overall payment behavior.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide on the subject. Specialist advice should be sought regarding your particular situation.

POPULAR ARTICLES ON: UAE Insolvency/Bankruptcy/Restructuring

Restructuring the Cayman Islands: No Place Like Home


Silver Base is the holding company incorporated in the Cayman Islands of a large group specializing in the distribution of alcohol. The Silver Base Group focuses on selling premium baijiu (or shaojiu),…

Snapshot: BVI Security Enforcement


With respect to a secured party asserting its rights under a mortgage or charge over shares of a BVI company, the secured party will generally exercise its rights under BVI law to sell the shares or appoint a receiver over them.